Members loaded these by hand and carted them by truck to the site. The first roller, an old grinding roller from the brick kilns, was brought for 1 pound and converted for use on the green.
Not being completely cylindrical, it was inclined to roll in an arc, but it served a purpose. The womenfolk worked hard, raising funds from which they presented the club with its first mower. The first green – now number 3 green – was officially opened on April 9th, 1944. Mowing, rolling, fencing and top-dressing were all done voluntarily and funds for fertilisers and seeds came from the pioneer members own pockets. With no water supply the greens were watered by use of watering cans.
The Club progressed but at the official opening in April 1944, there were still only 18 members. In August 1945, the number had grown to 69, the following year to 88. A tent used to serve as the club-house and the billy was boiled at the homes of Jim Barnwell and Jim Hands in Warrigal Street.